Monday 19 November 2007

Baseball World Cup and Aussie sport 1999


I was reading the other day about the fact that Australia lost to South Korea in their final game at the baseball world cup in Taipei. The game was play off for 5th place, leaving Australia finishing the tournament in sixth place. The powerhouse teams of United States, Cuba, and Japan taking the top three places.
The line in the article that I read that caught my attention was that this was the best that Australia had finished in a Baseball World Cup.("Australia finish best-ever World Cup", West Australian 18th November 2007) I was sure we had done better than this, infact I was sure that we had won such a tournament.
So I ran through the details in my head, sure of these facts: The final four was the three powerhouse nations, Cuba, USA, and Japan, along with Australia. The other thing that I was sure of was that it was that year where Australian's national teams seemed to win everything that was available.
So I did some Baseball based searches and found out a few things. It appears that there are numerous "world Cup" tournaments for Baseball...making it a little more difficult to make my findings. So I went for the search to find out the year, which was 1999.
It tiurns out that there was an "Intercontinental Baseball Cup" Held in 1999. Basically, the best of each region play off in a small tournement.
Australia defeated Japan in the Semi-final, while the united states were defeated by Cuba. The final was all Australias defeating Cuba.

This then lead me to thinking and trying to find all the sporting victories that we had during 1999.
Firstly,
Baseball Intercontinental Cup - IBAF (International Baseball Federation
Cricket World Cup, defeated Pakistan - www.Cricinfo.com
Hockey Champions Trophy, both Men and Women - Wikipedia.com
Rugby Union, we won both the Bledisloe - www.rugby.com.au and the World Cup (def France 35-12) - www.bbcnews.com
Rugby League We won the tri-nations - www.rlcup.com
Swimming, Won most medals in world Short course
Tennis, won Davis Cup 3-2 vs France - www.daviscup.com

No comments: